Friday, June 8, 2012

The Best Things Don't Have to Be From the Black Market

You know what bugs me?  Not knowing what to get people for their birthdays, Christmas, Mother's Day, etc.  And then the time comes where you ask them what they want and they can't think of anything off the top of their head.  I know, it's what I say every time.  Sure, some people want their friends to just know what to get them based on their super-close friendship, but really, that's like expecting a man to be able to read his wife's mind.  It's not going to happen.
Therefore, I propose everyone create a living list of things they like, things that anyone could get for them because we all know that you like them.  Here, challenge accepted.  I'll go first. 

- Standard size baking cups.  They're always useful, I happen to have a constantly depleting stash, and they're so gosh darn cute.  You really can't go wrong with them.  The mini ones are fun, too.  And so many colors!  I could have an entire cabinet dedicated to them.
- Floss picks.  One of my favorite inventions.  And part of what makes dental hygiene particularly enjoyable for me.  This is what I'm talking about.
- Cookie cutters.  Even the unconventional shapes.  Some of my favorite sugar cookies were the ones we made with the cutters that obviously never were shown any love (the foot or teddy bear, for example, were especially fun).  Also, dinosaurs.  Like these ones that actually look like dinosaurs.  Not these lame ones that look like penguins and slugs.  And I guess any animal that's cool, like sharks or moose.  Or turtles!  So long as they actually look like what they're supposed to be, and not some weird wobbly blob of shape.
- And since I saw this, I now add sprinkles to the list.  Interesting sprinkles.  But the usual are okay, too.  Here are some examples.
- Now that I'm baking lots of sugar cookies, I'm decorating lots of sugar cookies.  Food coloring goes quickly, especially black.  I've been using these, mostly, and I think they work pretty well.
- As I have just said, I'm a baker.  I go through a lot of flour and sugar.  Like, ten pounds in a week or so.  So, even though it's food and not your typical Christmas gift, I'd be happy with supplies as gifts.  It's also kind of embarrassing to buy four boxes of unsalted butter at a time...

Well, there's a few.  But, see, this is a living list, so when I think of something else, I can just add it on to the rest of the list.  I encourage all of you to make a list of your own, or I'll be forced to get you something stupid every time.  [update: I include links to pictures and sites to be helpful and offer examples.  That doesn't mean that what I have linked is the the only one I'm interested in.  Now that I have three jars of cow sprinkles, and only cow sprinkles, I feel it's important to state this.]

4 comments:

Barefoot Yaya said...

Floss picks. Got it covered. This made me cry just a little.

Barefoot Yaya said...

Those are a lot of cookie cutters. Could you be more specifc?

Superninja said...

Animals, basic shapes, holidays...?

Barefoot Yaya said...

So glad to hear you are set with the cow sprinkles. :-)